Date: Saturday, 12 March 2011 – 11:00am – 2:30pm
Location: outside DCFS office 425 Shatto Place, LA 90020 March to MacArthur Park
Gather 11am outside DCFS office 425 Shatto Place, LA 90020 March to MacArthur Park; rally; music; poetry; food; rides for those unable to march; translation.
Invest in caring not killing
WOMEN, MEN, YOUNG. OLD BRING YOUR CHILDREN, FRIENDS & DEMANDS!
Why a Mothers March? Because:
- Mothers produce and care for the world’s people, while war & profit destroy us and our planet.
- The contribution of mothers, grandmothers & other caregivers to survival is unrecognized, unpaid or low paid, whether we care for children, vets, older people, people with disabilities…
- Resources go to weapons of war and banks instead of to caregivers, healthy food, decent housing, health care, education, pay equity, care of Mother Earth.
- The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) discounts mother & other family bonds, takes children unjustly and places them with strangers. But children who need this protection don’t get it.
- Immigration laws tear children from their mothers.
- Our children who are LGBTQ are persecuted & denied civil rights.
- Mothers, daughters, sisters, wives are central to campaigns against criminalization and racial and economic profiling
- We’re being robbed of benefits, services, wages that our work & taxes have paid for
- Everywhere people are risking their lives to bring change – from Palestine to Egypt, Haiti to Mexico, the Philippines to Kenya …
Marches in: England, Guyana, Haiti, India, Italy, Peru, US (Milwaukee, Philadelphia, San Francisco), Venezuela
KPFK is the Media Sponsor
Coordinated by Mothers March Planning Group/SoCal: Alexandria House; CALIF; California Partnership; DCFS-Give Us Back Our Children; Every Mother is a Working Mother; Military Families Speak Out; Veterans For Peace; Global Women’s Strike/LA; South Central Farmers; Women of Color/GWS. Co-sponsors to date: All of Us or None; Susan Burton, A New Way of Life; Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of LA (CHIRLA); Eastside Café; Frank Dorrel, Publisher Addicted to War; Hunger Action; Long Beach Area Peace Network; Office of the Americas; Orange County Peace Coalition; Reverend Richard Byrd, KRST Unity Center; Cindy Sheehan.
For info: call 323 276 9833 email@example.com
Mothers March called by Global Women’s Strike, for all GWS international demands, www.globalwomenstrike.net